Sunday, April 19, 2009

Life @ V.J.T.I

It has been almost a year since I have passed out of V.J.T.I. (Veermata Jijabai Technlogical Institute).



Time flies away so fast, you just don’t realize. As I lazily spend time this Sunday evening, beautiful memories of V.J.T.I days flood my mind. An entire book would be still insufficient to pen down the beautiful life at V.J.T.I but I would like to sum up the most important aspects of a typical “V.J.T.I ans” life in a blog post.


First Year:
So finally you are out of your Junior college and scored good marks in CET.And whew!! Something you thought was impossible happens.You land up in Mumbai University’s topmost college-Veermata Jijabai Technlogical Institute(V.J.T.I). And now you feel you have proven “Papa kehte hain bada naam karega”. Wait, now your semester(sem) just begins. And before you finally get used to this great engg college, the mid term test just approaches.You just don’t know what you know but you have no choice.So now you start collecting notes, queuing up the Xerox shops near ICT (Institute of Chemical Technology just opposite Mechanical dept of V.J.T.I) just two days before an exam. The term test gets over and you think it was a disaster but you feel happy realizing that there many others along with you. Finally the lectures continue till the end of the semester followed by “Submissions”. For those unfamiliar with this word, Submissions means submission of duly completed Journals and drawing sheets to the concerned teacher. But this is not as simple as it sounds .It involves buying specific files and labels from V.J.T.I. store (for which there is a long queue), completing the assignments in most loved place of V.J.T.I, the quadrangle and then finally waiting for your turn to come which is bad if your surname starts with S(like me).It also includes the most dreaded vivas on the entire syllabus, whether your viva is good or not is entirely dependent on the professor’s mood. And then finally you get a study leave, just 1-2 weeks going by V.J.T.I standards. And you then finish the end semester exam followed by a long vacation. You are totally exhausted at the end of first semester and feel why the hell do I have to learn so many subjects? And also results pop up around the same time. Totally dissatisfied, you just don’t know what to do. Wait, but now something interesting happens. You realize that 3 important events are coming that you are looking forward to.
1)Pratibimb-The cultural festival
2)Technovanza-The Technical Festival
3)Enthusia-The sports festival.
You participate in these festivals, volunteer for various activities and finally you are into the social circle of V.J.T.I. And now that you have thoroughly enjoyed yourself(though you still feel it was less),the second semester lectures begin. Suddenly life seems better than 1st sem, maybe since you are used to it. And then with the 2nd sem exams getting over,you finally feel proud that now you are 1/4th of an engineer.

Second and Third Year:
Second year makes you realize that engineering is not as tuff as it seems.For IT students like me with subjects like Mechanics and Drawing no longer in syllabus, life becomes much simpler.You then increase your participation in extra currics and start organizing events for the various festivals.3rd year begins with most of the students deciding whether they want to do an M.S. or an M.B.A.Having decided that,most of the students join coaching for entrance exams like G.R.E and C.A.T. Some like me prefer to do neither.The end of the third year marks the beginning of placements with companies like T.C.S, Accenture, Atos origin etc visting the campus. The placement coordinator ensures almost 100% placement.

Fourth i.e. Final Year:
With almost the entire batch getting placed, the 4th year begins.And then the preparation for B.Tech project starts.Some of the students already get outhouse projects approved while those doing inhouse with the guidance of professors and friends,get the project topic ready.7th sem is mostly in the project synopsis and for the C.A.T aspirants in their C.A.T preparation.Finally with the7th sem over, the second round of placements, called the open house begins. Here again top companies like Google, Microsoft visit the campus. At the beginning of the 8th sem, you realize that there are only some months left to spend with your college friends, so you try to spend time together as much as possible.And finally comes the farewell. You enjoy and when its time to leave you start crying ,tears rolling down your cheeks with the feeling you will truly miss each other.And then with the 8th sem exams done and the results declared you feel proud to be a B.Tech from Mumbai’s top college,only next to IIT Bombay.

I would like to thank all my professors and friends in V.J.T.I who made V.J.T.I a truly memorable experience in my life. I would like to conclude by saying:
“Aamchi aai tumchi aai Veermata Jijabai”

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dhanashree!
    Whatever you wrote is 100% true & upto the point about life @ V.J.T.I. :)
    But i am not from engg stream like you.
    I am into final year of M.C.A.,V.J.T.I., but had a similar kind of experience like you do.
    My Name is Bhuvanesh S. Pimple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi dhanashree... very well written!!!... too good..!!...btw as far as vivas are concerned, i never had a problem becuase my surname starts with A..:).. so profs used to warm up by the time i was done withmy viva :D... and hey i would like u to contribute to "memoirs of VJTIans",..u can copy paste ur blog :)... bty the way, i m dipen ambalia... a 2k4 trical passout...tc..keep writing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dipen,
    Thanks for the feedback..great initiative memoirs of VJTIans keep up the good work..tc..

    ReplyDelete

Varan bhat

  In the first month of our marriage, my husband visited my mom's for dinner. I wasn't joining, so my mom asked what to make. I come...