Thursday, November 30, 2023

Remembering Mehendale Kaka

 Mehendale kaka


It was last Friday – I was travelling from work and I get a call from Baba – “Pradnya che baba - Mehendale kaka” passed away. 

Mehendale Kaka was battling cancer for last 4 years .He was on a liquid diet post his first cancer surgery. He couldn’t speak recently and could communicate only through text. But full of life as always, he wrote 4 books in this period, one even as recent as this September. 


As I heard this news, my mind went in a total flashback mode – 

Of my childhood

Of the place I grew up in 

Of childhood plays and friends


Pradnya and I are childhood building friends. We are birthday twins, both born on 9th October, Pradnya 2 years elder than me. Pradnya stayed on 2nd floor, I on 3rd. 

We played in each other’s homes, we almost grew up together. We bonded with each other’s aajis. I had a very wonderful childhood, surrounded by lovely family, friends and families of friends. 


In our summer vacations, Mehendale kaka played cards with our group. This , after coming from office . So much energy and enthusiasm he had. Today, if my kids ask me to play immediately after coming from office, I get irritated.


Mehendale kaka was very fond of me. He always praised me for my academic excellence.

Very fond of reading, writing and art –kaka had a zest for life. He was very methodical and disciplined. While he was going through all these cancer treatments, he wrote 4 books.


Losing kaka has been like losing a very big part of my childhood . I never had the courage to meet him when he was battling cancer as I was a bit scared to see him in that state. I don’t know if there is any point writing this now. But good people must be remembered and celebrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Varan bhat

  In the first month of our marriage, my husband visited my mom's for dinner. I wasn't joining, so my mom asked what to make. I come...