Wednesday, January 17, 2018

When kids talk..."Bol Bachchan.."


"Baccha, bade hokar kya banoge, doctor ya engineer?" This might sound the cliched Hindi film dialogue or maybe a dialogue that I heard as a child( I was born in mid 80s, so you can imagine) .When my daughter was born, I had no such questions. I just had one simple question, "Baccha, kab soooge"? All I cared then was sleep. But kids grow up faster than we can imagine. And yes I have discovered that the real fun starts when kids start talking.

We were in a park. A lady had worn a salwar kameez with a slightly different cut. Swara immediately went upto her and said -" Your dress is torn. Please go home and change. People will laugh at you". Super embarrassed, I didn't know what to do.. I just put up a " don't know what happened " courtesy smile and went off.

But parenting has its sets of totally unexpected surprise moments. So more drama was to follow. We went to meet a few friends. One of them had worn a one-piece dress. Swara asked ." Where's your pant and dupatta?" In a sightly ordering tone she said , "Go and wear your pants." Ok, I realized, I cant avoid this.I said sorry " bacchi hain" kinda thing and moved on to a different topic

We were at the airport and all Swara wanted to do was play the whistle. No matter how much I tried to avoid, her tantrums were beyond my control. All she was doing was this- continuously was playing her whistle, saying Ready Steady Go and running around.I heard a couple of "Bacchha kiska hain" voices from behind .. I said "Mera hain" and suddenly this dialogue played in my mind - " Bacchaa , bade hokar maa- baap ka naam roshan karna" . I hoped Swara hasn't taken this too literally and made me famous by embarassment.

When I ask her, what does she want to do when she grows up? All she says is "I want to be like you, Aai". I shed a tear in my eyes and say " Aal izz well ... Aal izz well" And wish to tell her this - "Bachcha kabil bano, kabil ... kamyabi toh saali jhak maarke peeche bhagegi"

- Dhanashree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Varan bhat

  In the first month of our marriage, my husband visited my mom's for dinner. I wasn't joining, so my mom asked what to make. I come...