Monday, December 18, 2017

The " Pooja's" in today's generation


Back then when I grew up, it was a fact that almost everyone had a friend named Pooja or Neha. This is to just highlight the fact that these names were pretty common. Some kids were named as per famous personalities back then. So the name Sachin caught on due to Sachin Tendulkar, the name Aishwarya caught on due to Aishwarya Rai.
Now I see an interesting trend. I noticed this while looking at my daughter's nursery admission list. Call it the side effect of my education/profession , I subconsciously tend to look for patterns in data. So I noticed the following patterns:
- An abundance of short names.
-Lot of names starting with A. Ayan, Aryan, Ayaan, Aahan. There were 3 Ayaans in a list of 30.
- Abundance of consecutive similar alphabets in spellings. Seeya, Ayaan, Smeeya, Ruhee etc.Numerology effect, maybe?

Another thing that I noticed in this list is the pattern in father's name. Apart from Santosh, no other name repeated. So it seems there was a relatively more variety of names in previous generation. Whereas in my daughter's class, I found 3 Ayaan's, 2 Atharva's, 2 Ahana's  and similar names like Isha and Ishan.

These observations are based on a total list of 60 names, 30 names in each list. So the sample size is too small to conclude anything.

I am just pondering over one thing, is the current generation more carried away by majority thought, thanks to social media? So you come to know someone had named his kid something and when you hear more people naming same , you follow suit?
We have named our kid Swara and since then come across many Swara's. There might be many more Swara's before my daughter was born, but I didn't know. Now I see the wave of the name Swara as well. Don't know what explains this!
Probably the current generation might not have one Pooja or Neha, it might be multiple like Ayan, Ishan, Vivaan, Myra..

-Dhanashree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Varan bhat

  In the first month of our marriage, my husband visited my mom's for dinner. I wasn't joining, so my mom asked what to make. I come...