Sunday, July 29, 2018

Poetry for a cause




There are two causes that I feel I should do something about. They are about helping and working towards women empowerment and disabled (specially abled ) people. I have been  helping these causes by some direct monetary contributions and indirectly by buying stuff from them. But that is not much in my opinion. In terms of doing on the ground work for them, I am not able to devote much time. Today I performed poetry in Cuckoo Club open mic  hosted by Sonali Kapoor talking about these causes.

The first poem talks from the point of view of a disabled person. A student who was rendered  wheelchair bound post an accident. A moment that changed his life and brought basic mobility to a standstill. How does he feel? How does he gather the courage to move ahead? How does he feel?

I am just "Differently" abled

 I was born to win or so it seemed
Until a car knocked down all my dreams
Trying to save a little boys life
I myself lost all my limbs that time

From a four-wheeler to a wheelchair
Life was cruel, it seemed so unfair
My brain and heart were still the same
Carrying all the same dreams with them
My limbs prevented me from moving forward quickly
My mind went into a train of negative thoughts quickly

Why was I feeling so bad?
Or were people's sympathetic looks making me feel so
I don't know
But someone would have definitely helped me when faced with a small stair or so
A small stair never seemed so big
Until I was wheelchair bound indeed
Was it the obstacle of the stairs
Or was it in my head again
I don't know
I decided to give my best shot to life again

Continuing with my studies as well as treatment
I promised myself to never feel let down again
I received help from a few well wishers
I was just differently abled they concurred

Diversity and Inclusion seem big words
We all can do a bit for such stuff
Today I want to tell you one thing
I am not disabled, I am differently abled
On behalf of all such people, I urge you one thing
Do not show sympathy , just help and show empathy

My next poem is on the topic of women empowerment. Women are taught to be perfect , because of which we overthink before taking any new venture. Women are also judged a lot ; sometimes also let down and judged by other women themselves. What should women do to not get carried away by negative thought? I think they just need to ask themselves " What would I do if I weren't afraid? Just have the right attitude. As Viktor Frankl has said "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

What would you do if you weren't afraid
Start  accepting you are not perfect instead

Its ok to take that plunge
When you are 90% sure of success

Some things will work
Some things won't
Let the disappointments not deter you
Or the successes flatter you
Keep working on the next big move
That you would do if you weren't afraid

Someone will be more talented
Someone will have more family support
Someone will be richer
But you are unique because of your attitude

For everything can be take away
But your attitude to respond in a given set of circumstances
Finally determines what you become
It is something that no one can take away from you
Go ahead dear in your fearless path
For what would you do if you were not afraid

-Dhanashree
https://dsaidso.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Varan bhat

  In the first month of our marriage, my husband visited my mom's for dinner. I wasn't joining, so my mom asked what to make. I come...