Monday, July 16, 2018

Ugich Kashala

I was looking at myntra sale the other day. I showed a purse on sale to my mum and told her I am buying it. " Ugich kashala?" she asked. " You already have so many purses " she said.

Quite literally translated Ugich Kashala means unnecessarily why. Anyone who has grown up in a middle class maharashtrian household cannot not be familiar with "ugich kashala?" Ugich kashala has been my optimization algorithm. For some it seems like a risk averse mindset. But for me it is the logic thats defies FOMO( Fear of missing out).

As a kid, I remember the only time we took cabs/ autos for long distance travel was when we went out with aaji. It was not like my parents couldn't have afforded but then why take a rick when we could save money by using public transport. Ugich kashala? you know..

It was never always about money.Ugich kashala was also about optimization of time, resources. In school days, my building friends decided to enroll for dance class. I was never too interested in dance, but since all my friends were going, I wanted to go too. That time too my mum said , "Are you really interested in dance? Otherwise, ugich kashala ?" This helped me focus .

Thinking the "ugich kashala" way still helps me focus. It helps me say no to things that don't deserve my attention. It helps me in optimization of time , money and resources. It helps to lead a way of life independent of peer pressue.

As Anita Bhogle and Harsha Bhogle have said in their book The Winning Way - "If you have grown up in a family with few means at its disposal, you will still eat the last corner slice of bread or vigorously shake the bottle of ketchup to extract the last drop even if you can easily afford another one."

Do I really need to watch that movie? Or I should not, ugich kashala?
Should I go out in the rain ? Or just stay safe indoors , ugich kashala go out?
Should I buy the latest phone? Or let it be, ugich kashala?
Should I spend this evening partying or let me write something, ugich kashala waste time?

In a FOMO and consumerism driven world, Ugich kashala helps me and reminds me of my priorities and constraints. And for this reason, I love ugich kashala. And now let me stop.Ugich kashala continue this chatter?

What are your ugich kashala memories? Maybe it has not worked for you. Maybe it is too old fashioned. Or maybe it has worked for you. Let me know in comments.

-Dhanashree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Varan bhat

  In the first month of our marriage, my husband visited my mom's for dinner. I wasn't joining, so my mom asked what to make. I come...