Monday, November 19, 2018

The "cat coloured" eyes


"Oh she is Aishwarya", my gynaecologist said looking at my daughter's eyes. She was wondering at her distinctively grey coloured cat eyes. How come she got those colored eyes given neither me nor my husband have grey coloured eyes?Neither did our previous generation have cat coloured eyes. Google searches and discussions followed on how my daughter could have got those eyes. Apart from the fact that the Kokanastha Brahmin community ( that my husband belongs to) typically has cat colored eyes, there was no other connection we could see.

My doctor said that sometimes eye color changes after 2 years of age. So after 2 years of age, when my daughter's eye color remained the same , we were convinced that this is mostly her permanent eye color.

She is 3.5 years now but any new person that we still meet somehow notices her eyes. I remember meeting a foreigner in Bangalore who asked us how come my daughter has those eyes. She was sad about the fact that her kids don't have those eyes. Kids in my mum's building would ask " ye foreigner hain kya?" Foreigners have stopped by and asked "It is very unusual for Indians to have such eyes no." They are sometimes amazed by her Indian dressed up attire and cat colored eyes with brown hair.

When my daughter was born, I was actually scared by the way her cat coloured eyes sparkled in the night. That an eye colour would draw so much attention and curiosity seems different to me. It is topic I never thought I would have a conversation on , forget doing a Google search and researching on the same.

-Dhanashree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Varan bhat

  In the first month of our marriage, my husband visited my mom's for dinner. I wasn't joining, so my mom asked what to make. I come...