Wednesday, January 23, 2019

The parenting DCP


A conversation between a mom of a 4 year old girl and and an aunty. Let's call them mom and aunty respectively. Let the 4 year old girl be called as the little one( LO) .The mom is a stay at home mom. Aunty is a retired teacher. The 4 year old studies in one of the hi-fi international schools. So now that the context is set, here goes the conversation

Aunty- So which school does she go to?

Mom- She just started going to Jr. K.G. But you know what, I homeschooled her for. 2 years before that?

( me thinks- homeschooling before 4 , what's that?)

Aunty- Oh wow, how did you do that?

Mom-  I researched, I read a lot of books, I took her out to play. You know homeschooling is not just about sitting at home. Its also about taking kids out, giving     them the right exposure. When I came to Mumbai from Delhi, most people scared me that my daughter will not have social skills as she has not gone to play school. But you know I had worked on that. So I was confident she will do well.

Aunty-  That's really nice to know.  What stories do you read out to her?

Mom-  I read those good night stories for rebel girls . I have already finished one book. Earlier I read Cinderella but I realized that fairy tales and all is too unrealistic. Hence I have stopped. You see she knows so much about them.
(She is now pointing to her daughter and indicating her to show her intelligence maybe)

LO- I love Cinderella

Mom- oh you know so many other stories, don't you? And aunty you know what I have restricted her screen time too. We have set time for the day which is divided into intervals of 10 mins.

( And the conversation continues.......)

What do you infer from the conversation above? A super mom talking? Or a retired teacher listening?

All I infer is a lady who is trying to prove what she does for her kid to others. There is some much 'I' in the conversation above trying to prove supermom skills. Right exposure is a word I hear too much these days. I do xyz for my kid to make him/her smart and all rounder is also heard quite often nowadays.

All I wish to ask is, did the parents themselves do as many things as they expect the kids to do?
Also If the kid is smart, the results will show. As a parent, you do not constantly talk about your absolutely awesome parenting skills. For god's sake, parenting is not a competition and at least for me such conversations to put in IIM lingo seem like parenting DCP( desperate class participation)

#yeh_aaj_kal_ke_parents

-Dhanashree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Varan bhat

  In the first month of our marriage, my husband visited my mom's for dinner. I wasn't joining, so my mom asked what to make. I come...