Friday, December 14, 2018

On time....


I had a pediatrician appointment for my daughter this afternoon at 12:30. At 12:45, I asked the sister there by when he would come in the clinic. I told her that I am working from home and have a call at 1:45 which I need to take. She called the doctor and informed him of the same.

The doctor came in by 12:55. As soon as he entered the clinic, he called me in immediately. The sister was serving him water ,so I waited. He told me not to wait outside his cabin but to come in. The first thing he said is ," Sorry, I am late. My daughter is coming from London hence I was busy with that stuff.." He examined my daughter and then asked me whether I would make it time for my call. I said yes and thanked him and left.

So many people these days have absolutely no value of time, and most importantly of someone else's time. They wouldn't even feel that it is wrong showing up late, forget apologizing for that behaviour. But in this case a prominent doctor felt sorry the delay and was actually concerned whether I would make it on time.

This doctor is 80 years old. He is one of the prominent paediatricians in Mumbai. Patients visit him from very far off places in Mumbai and outside Mumbai as well. But the quality I respect him for is his humility and empathy. The little yet not so little things that matter..

Edited to add( after Ameya Khaladkar's suggestion) - The doctor here is Dr Ramesh Potdar who practices in Jeevak Hospital in Dadar East ( near station)

-Dhanashree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Varan bhat

  In the first month of our marriage, my husband visited my mom's for dinner. I wasn't joining, so my mom asked what to make. I come...