Thursday, September 21, 2017

Kindness Exists

Heavy rains predicted from 20th to 26th September." was the message doing rounds on whatsapp. "When does the weather department get its forecast right? " I thought. 
It was business as usual on 19th September morning. Suddenly it started to get cloudy around 1 pm. Around 2 pm, it started raining heavily. The rain gods had come out in full force and it had grown very dark. Friends, google maps and other social media sources indicated we should leave early. Finally at 5:30 p.m., 4 of us got into a colleague's car who offered to drop us till Kandivali East. I had to reach Malad West. The distance between the two places is around 6 to 7 kms.By the time I got down from the car, it was raining cats and dogs. No auto- rickshaw was ready to come to Malad West. Neither did I manage to get an Ola or uber. It was 7:20 p.m. already. Slightly scared of getting stuck, I didn't know what to do. Then I figured there was a bus stop nearby. I took the first bus that came. That bus took me to Malad East. Going from Malad East to west is a challenge in rains. The subway connecting East and west gets flooded.I was lucky enough to find a kind Aunty in the bus. She took me right from the bus stop to the place where autos might be available. No auto was ready to come. Aunty literally pleaded with each auto driver to drop me home as I was alone. Finally one driver obliged. Aunty made sure I was comfortable and sat in. She waved me goodbye and left. I don't know who she is, I don't know her name, her background. Neither does she know me.But she helped me. Pure human act of kindness. Helping someone with no expectations. That is the spirit. Helping me across waterlogged streets, waiting for me till I get an auto meant just so much for me. This post is dedicated to that Aunty who helped me get home lest I would be stuck somewhere till god knows when. Reaffirms my faith in kindness and humanity.
#saluteherspirit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Varan bhat

  In the first month of our marriage, my husband visited my mom's for dinner. I wasn't joining, so my mom asked what to make. I come...