Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Vat Pournima


My Kalnirnay says its Vat Pournima today. That day of the year where ladies fast , pray for the long life of the husbands. That day where ladies tie a thread around the banyan tree seven times and pray that the dear or poor ? Hubby be their husband for next 7 births.

Funny as it seems to me now, I did this Vat Pournima thread tieing ritual in the first year of my marriage. When I went to that banyan tree, I was astonished to see the sheer number of women there. I could barely get some space to do this thread encircling ritual. I just did it 2 times and came out of that crowded space. In the years that followed I never did this tree thread ritual again. I occasionally observe a fast on this day.

There is obviously a story behind this ritual, I do not know how much significance it holds today.

But then how can we forget the main person- the husband here? Has anyone asked the husband whether he would like the same wife for the next 7 births? Poor soul, I pity him on his no choice day. Oh wait, what choice does he have on the other days ?

Till we think on this, let me have my awesome fasting menu :)starting with sabudana khichadi. For all those who know how the Maharashtriam fasting goes, its more like feasting on the fasting menu!

-Dhanashree
https://dsaidso.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Varan bhat

  In the first month of our marriage, my husband visited my mom's for dinner. I wasn't joining, so my mom asked what to make. I come...