Sunday, June 17, 2018

For my Dad...



As a kid I was perceived to be studious and geeky, and I think it was rightly so. I was never much into sports or singing or dancing. Studies and writing, debating , elocution were my things.
I remember there was some Dasera function when I was in class 4 where they called up kids to dance on stage. I was not very comfortable about doing this impromptu performance. Other kids did, but I couldn't. I felt bad and started crying. My dad that time told me , " Its ok if you didn't dance. You know so many other things. Everybody need not know everything" . This statement probably laid the foundation of me being comfortable in being myself.

Further my dad always said ," Do whatever you want to do in life, but make sure you do that one thing really really well" My dad is a mechanical engineer from VJTI, yet he never pressurized me to pursue engineering. He just kept on insisting me to do my best in the field I choose. He just did not preach this , he practiced it too. He handled two departments in office at one point in time and he did extremely well at work.

Even at home it was the same, he was there for us always. Whenever my dad did any small thing, as small as putting the covers on our notebooks, they were done with finesse.Anything to be done, anything to be brought from the shop, he always had a to-do list. We knew that once we tell dad, things are bound to happen. Probably thats why even now when I commit something either small or big, I give my 100% and make sure it happens in the best possible way.

Another thing what I learnt from him is reading. My dad is an avid reader. At one point in time we had 5 newspapers - 3 English, 1 business and 1 marathi newspaper coming into our house. My dad would read all of them. He used to read them even while he was travelling in the local train. He is updated on the latest technology and business news. Many a times he still knows more than me. He doesn't watch sports or movies much but is aware of news in that area. Before the advent of internet, my dad used to keep cuttings of important new technology developments in a notebook. He was like my Google search engine before Google came into existence.

He used to always tell me to focus and use my strengths to the fullest. Once you do that , everything follows. I remember when I was in college , I had gone with him to a function in a 5 star hotel. I remember telling him, why don't we come here? To which he replied, you just work hard, people will call you to such places. He always told me not to think of all such things, but just focus and do the best.Probably thats any I am drawn towards achievement rather than anything else. All these things follow. Another thing was that he taught me to perform best in any circumstances. As I finished my MBA, he told the main goal of an MBA is problem solving. You should be able to solve problems work out solutions in any kind of situations. If one thing doesn't work try something else but once you start something try your best to finish it.

Years later when I look back at all this, I can't help but wonder how true it is. On this father's day, I am short of words to thank my dad for this upbringing. My dad who gave me the confidence to be myself, who gave me the freedom to choose what I wanted to and encouraged me to do my best in whatever I want to. He who helped me in my toughest times, playing a doting grandfather to my daughter.
You are and will always be my Hero No 1!
One little poem for my Dad!

Am I doing the right thing?
Am I good enough?
Sometimes my mind wanders
I think more than is enough

All I need then is reassurance
Someone to back my doubting self
To be by my side at all times good and bad

In all such times, there is my hero who tells me I have done my best
Leave the rest to god he tells me instead

The hero who runs for my help from anywhere
I am his priority number 1, I am in his prayers

The hero who finds happiness in my smile
Who loves me unconditionally at all times

This one is for my hero no 1, Baba!

#happyfathersday #fathersday #dsaidso #englishwritings

-Dhanashree
https://dsaidso.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Varan bhat

  In the first month of our marriage, my husband visited my mom's for dinner. I wasn't joining, so my mom asked what to make. I come...