Thursday, June 21, 2018

Of Ricardian Equivalence and sleep



Facebook reminded me yesterday that is 7 years since my first day at IIM Bangalore. I started my IIM Bangalore journey on 20th June 2011. In my mind, there was a flashback of memories. I remember when I had joined IIMB , seniors telling stories of staying up till 3 am and all. For someone who slept latest by 11 pm all her life, this was shocking. I wondered how would I survive. As time progressed , I realised that this staying up late was not a necessity for everyone. In my two years at IIM B , I hardly stayed up late. Somehow managed to catch decent amount of sleep and survive. MBA success can't be measured by sleep for sure, but that was my preferred criteria to have my sanity intact:)
That would ensure I was reasonably awake in class and grasp some stuff at least.

The information thrown at you in an MBA course is practically infinite. How fast you grasp the most important stuff is the key. I distinctly remember some concepts which I never understood, either the concept or its practical use. One such concept was the Ricardian equivalence in economics . It states that "Ricardian equivalence is an economic theory that suggests that when a government tries to stimulate an economy by increasing debt-financed government spending, demand remains unchanged. This is due to the fact that the public saves its excess money to pay for expected future tax increases that will be used to pay off the debt" I understood this as a statement but wasn't fully convinced of it, couldn't relate so to say.

Now 7 years later I relate to it fully. When my daughter sleeps late at night, I find a practical example. I think I was intuitively forward looking so I always slept adequately. Maybe some higher power knew my daughter would sleep late and I would be sleep deprived. Maybe thats why I was never even sleep deprived in IIMB.Maybe I was intutively aware of the future sleep deprivation.

Obviously this is just an analogy, makes me happy that finally I find a funny analogy of ricardian equivalence.

Hopefully some day I am able to find such patterns in life explaining things as imaginary to understand like the Avogadro's number in Chemistry!

-Dhanashree
#dsaidso #yetanothermumstory
#economicsoflife #mba #iimb
https://dsaidso.blogspot.com

ref: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/ricardianequivalence.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Varan bhat

  In the first month of our marriage, my husband visited my mom's for dinner. I wasn't joining, so my mom asked what to make. I come...