Thursday, July 13, 2017

Of food, love and Memories

"Wake up now, how long will you sleep?" my mom would say , trying to wake me up at 7:00 a.m. "10 more mins please, let me sleep", a half asleep, yawning me would say. At 7:15 a.m. a wrinkled hand would shake me up saying " early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy , wealthy and wise" . This was my aaji(grandma) giving me the final wake up call. As I would barely try to wake up, I would notice the aroma of fresh chapatis all around the house. I still cannot fathom how my mom made 30 chapatis daily without the help of any cook or side help.! Of course my dad would help in making chapatis over the tava but still !
"Chaha de"/Give me tea would be my first demand of the day. As I would dip the freshly made chapatis into the tea and eat, a sense of satisfaction would emerge. The love of mom in making the chapatis would satiate my hunger. To me, they were the best chapatis in the world.
Mom would leave for office at 7:45 am. Draped in a neatly pressed saree with matching jewellery, she was all set for her office. Aaji and me would then begin our usual chat. Aaji used to pack my lunch box to school. As a child , I remember initially I wouldn't eat many vegetables. But Aaji through her loving words and convincing talk slowly and steadily introduced them in our diet.
Around the time my brother was born, one of my aunts took a flat just above us. It was the morning ritual of my brother to go to her place and have his daily dose of Sheera, Dosa, chapati- sauce. Lunch time aaji and atya ensured we were fed tasty and healthy food. Afternoon times went in school.
When I used to come home, my first question would be " Mom what did you get to eat ?" I used to ask this almost daily to my mom. It's not like she used to get something daily, but I would ask. There used to be an occasional treat of monginis cake by aai and both me and my brother would jump for it.
My other atya who was with us would make dinner. At least once a week we had "batata Kaapi or Bhaji "in addition to chapati and dal rice. " Batata Kaapi or bhaji" is either shallow fried or deep fried potatoes .Those were my favourites.
Weekend times were even more special. When everyone was at home and aai atya would make food at the spur of our demand. My brothers favourite rava ladoo would be made every alternate weekends. In my childhood, I hardly remember any family restaurant parties.Food was served in simple houses and in usual non fancy vessels/cutlery. It had one priceless thing though " made with love" . No matter to what aunt/uncle/cousin I have gone, I have had my favourite food served even without asking. To this date, as latest as I can remember my 78 year old aunt made sheera for my daughter at 6 in the morning so we could have it on way from Vengurla to Goa.
As Kaumudi Marathe has said in her book Shared Tables " From a young age, love was given to me tenderly on a plate so I also see food as memory and comfort. It is my muse , my inspiration, my way to give love"
Cheers to food , to memories and to love!
What are the food memories you have? Do let me know in comments.
Thank you:)
--Dhanashree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Varan bhat

  In the first month of our marriage, my husband visited my mom's for dinner. I wasn't joining, so my mom asked what to make. I come...