Saturday, April 7, 2018

Who Am I? #NaPoWriMo2018 Day7

My poetry for day 7 #NaPoWriMo #NaPoWriMo2018 basis the prompt “And now for our (optional) prompt. In our interview, Kyle Dargan suggests writing out a list of all of your different layers of identity. For example, you might be a wife, a grandmother, a Philadelphian, a dental assistant, a rabid Phillies fan, a seamstress, retiree, agnostic, cancer survivor, etc.. These are all ways you could be described or lenses you could be viewed through. Now divide all of those things into lists of what makes you feel powerful and what makes you feel vulnerable. Now write a poem in which one of the identities from the first list contends or talks with an identity from the second list. This might turn out to be kind of a “heavy” exercise, emotionally, but I hope you will find the results enlightening.”

Who am I ?

As I lay asleep on the hospital bed
“It’s a girl”my doctor said
That little face I remember
Momma she made me forever

At office I am a Risk professional
Looking at risk systems and doing brainstorming
There is nothing that seems insurmountable
But..
Then a phonebell Rings
Swara is unwell , I hear
My mind worries till I see her
Simple things seem too difficult to bear

My momma makes me feel like a little girl again
“ All will be well” she says again and again
Swara kisses and says “ I love u momma”
My biggest strength and weakness is her being

A wife to my husband , a companion for life
We have seen the ups and down and taken them in stride
A girlfriend then a wife and now a mother to his kid
Are the different roles I have played in his life

There is one thing I miss terribly
There’s no one left who I can call aaji
Granddaughters role I miss paaji
I wish I could go into that phase
And hug my aaji again

Who am I now- A daughter or a daughter in law or a mother or a wife?
I don’t Know exactly but - My daughter is the biggest strength as well as the weakness in my life

-Dhanashree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Varan bhat

  In the first month of our marriage, my husband visited my mom's for dinner. I wasn't joining, so my mom asked what to make. I come...